Sugar Crusted Almond Orange Cake is a perfect conclusion to a special occasion or gathering. The orange gives it an exquisite flavor and the simple ingredients make it pair with limitless toppings. It is great with berries and cream. A chocolate sauce or herb infused glaze would be great too. Get creative! This simple dessert can be made on the fly which is perfect for an impulsive dessert or well-timed gesture.
It is hard to see in the photo, but there is the sweetest sugar glaze coating baked on the top of this almond orange cake. Delicious shavings of orange peel give this cake a bold finish. Simple decadence.
You ready for some of this goodness? Feel free to check out the King Arthur Flour recipe for an awesome photo directions for every step of the process. My recipe is almost the same, with added coconut flour with orange juice and zest.
Sugar Crusted Almond Orange Cake
- butter for pan
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 almond flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (coconut sugar would work well, however I can only vouch for white sugar)
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- juice of one squeezed orange or 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter (best option) or grease an 8″ springform pan, or round cake pan, and coat with about 2 tablespoons white sugar. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar. Add almond flour, coconut flour, orange juice and zest, baking power, and salt. Set aside. Batter will thick and pasty.
- With electric mixer, whip egg whites until they are form soft peaks. Turn mixer onto low setting and slowly add remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Spoon egg whites into thick batter, one dollop at a time. Gently mix until batter loosens and then scrap into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until cake is soft, but firm.
- Remove from oven and rest in pan for about 15 minutes.
- Turn cake upside down on plate and gawk at it’s golden beauty.
- Top with fruits, nuts, creams, sauces, flowers, herbs, fresh honey, seeds, gelato; follow your heart.