I love these simple, omega-3 rich muffins. They taste healthy and wholesome. They are high in iron, low in sugar, and easy to make.
Power-packed & nutrient dense, these muffins are a perfect breakfast, post workout snack, or on-the-go energy blast during a busy day. Because the steel oats are soaked and the ingredients are simple, they are easy to digest and assimilate.
The recipe is quick and I highly recommend sprucing it up with your favorite toppings and spices. I like to add natural candied ginger, cardamon, nutmeg, dark chocolate, and walnuts. Zingy toppings like cranberries, orange zest, and pine nuts would be awesome too.
The basic recipe is:
- 2 cups soaked in water (overnight) and drained steel cut, or irish oats
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 pasture raised eggs
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey or grade b maple syrup
- Toppings- nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, coconut, seeds, berries
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine drained oats and all ingredients except toppings in a bowl until well mixed.
- Line muffin tray with paper cups.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Press toppings into batter. The muffins won’t rise much, so feel free to fill to brim.
- Bake for about 45 mins.
Yields 24. approx 115 calories per muffin, 6 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat, and 3 grams of sugar prior to toppings.
Enjoy lots of energy after eating a couple Muffins of Steel.
This recipe is reproduced from Balance for Busy Moms and was created by Lisa Bakosi.